Reasons for Slip and Fall Accidents
A pedestrian can slip and fall on anything that is slick, such as:
- Freshly mopped floors
- Recently waxed floors
- Spilled liquids
- Wet leaves on the sidewalk
- Pooled rainwater in parking lots
- Condensation that has collected on floors
- Worn treads
- Poorly lit stairways
Another large group of people can trip over foreign objects that have been left on the floor. Even the most careful pedestrian cannot watch their feet the entire time, so these accidents will continue to occur.
Slip and Fall Accident Injuries
The injuries a person will suffer depend on many factors, such as their age, overall health, and how they landed. Many of our clients have suffered from the following:
- Broken bones, including compound fractures. The elderly in particular are at high risk of breaking bones during a fall.
- Bruises. A bruise can be relatively minor, but a serious bruise can damage tissue around it, including nerves.
- Sprains. Many people try to twist their bodies when they fall and can end up spraining their back or ankle. Sprains often clear up with rest and ice, but serious sprains could require surgery to fix.
- Joint injuries. Because joints are complex, any damage can be difficult to repair. Serious joint injuries might require a total replacement of the joint.
- Spinal cord injuries. Any damage to the spinal cord can result in impaired sensation or mobility.
- Internal organ injuries. Organs can bleed after a fall, and it might be difficult to find out where you are bleeding.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI). A TBI can leave a person with impaired memory, speech, cognition, mobility, sleep, or personality. TBIs often require extensive rehabilitation so that the victim can recover functioning.
If you have been injured in a fall, it is important that you get immediate medical treatment to improve your chances of making a full recovery.
Other Covington Practice Areas
Personal Injury | Auto Accidents | DUI Accidents | Premises Liability | Bicycle Accidents | Pedestrian Accidents | Wrongful Death | Motorcycle Accidents | Truck Accidents | Workplace Injuries | Mass Torts | Child Injuries | Nursing Home Neglect | Pharmaceutical Injury | Environmental Law & Toxic Torts | Crosswalk Accident | Slip & Fall Accident