How Alcohol Impairs Driving
There is a simple reason that Georgia criminalizes drunk driving and metes out harsh penalties to those who break the law. Alcohol has a dramatic effect on a person’s ability to operate a motor vehicle safely. For example, alcohol can:
- Impair judgment. A drunk driver might take more risks than a sober driver. For example, a drunk driver might turn right in front of an oncoming vehicle and get hit as a result.
- Impede concentration. A drunk driver can easily get distracted or become too focused on only one task that they neglect others (such as using turn signals).
- Limit comprehension. A drunk driver cannot interpret a situation and respond quickly the way a sober driver can.
- Reduces vision. A drunk driver cannot see as clearly. In fact, visual acuity can drop by about 33%.
- Slows reflexes. A driver will not react as quickly to a situation after having too many drinks. Reaction times slow by up to 25%.
There is no safe amount of alcohol to consume before driving, so motorists should avoid alcoholic beverages altogether if they anticipate needing to drive. Instead, hail a cab or ask a friend to drive.
How a Rockdale County Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer Can Help
Most accident victims will settle their disputes without ever having to go to court. However, settlement negotiations are very complicated, and inexperienced people settle for far less than they are entitled to.
At MG Law, we carefully review your injuries to determine what is fair compensation. Then we develop a negotiation strategy that seeks to maximize the amount we obtain from the drunk driver’s insurance company. Sometimes, increasing the amount of compensation requires that we negotiate aggressively with the insurance companies, which like to use delay tactics.
If you have been involved in a collision, you probably are confused about your next steps. Don’t fear. Our firm has helped hundreds of injured motorists obtain compensation after a crash, and we know how to set you up for success.
For help, please schedule a free consultation by calling 770-691-6019. One of the lawyers at MG Law will be happy to meet with you to discuss your accident.