Atlanta Dump Truck Accident Attorney Near Me
Dump trucks can be seen around construction sites, dropping off materials like gravel or transporting waste away from the site. Dump trucks have an open box in the back, which is lifted so that gravel or other material can pour out of the bottom.
If you have been involved in an accident with a dump truck, you probably needed immediate medical assistance. After you see a doctor, please contact one of our Atlanta dump truck accident lawyers for information about your claim.
What Causes Dump Truck Accidents?
These are surprisingly dangerous pieces of equipment that can severely injure a person in a collision or rollover. Some of the more common causes of dump truck accidents include:
- Operator error. The person driving the dump truck might be careless or reckless. For example, he might not watch where he is going and clip a construction worker or motorist.
- Operator impairment. The driver could be using over-the-counter medications to help him stay away, or he could be under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Consequently, the driver’s reflexes and judgement are impaired.
- Failure to secure the box. Materials can come flying out of the dump truck when it is going fast on the highway. An operator should use a tarp to cover the materials, and failure to do so can lead to accidents.
- Tip over. Dump trucks are inherently unstable when the box is raised. If the dump truck is not parked on level ground, or if material does not flow freely out of the box, then the dump truck could tip over.
- Mechanical failure. A dump truck might crash because of a failure with the breaks, steering, or hydraulics. The cause could be a design or manufacturing defect, or poor mechanical repair could be to blame.
Who Can A Victim Sue For Compensation?
We typically analyze who or what is to blame for the accident first. Once we answer that question, we have a stronger understanding of who is at fault for the accident.
The choice of the defendant will often depend on the context. However, we have often sued the following:
- The dump truck operator. If the operator was negligent, then he is to blame for any injuries that result from a crash.
- The operator’s employer. Under Georgia law, employers are automatically liable for any accident their employee causes in the course of work. This is called “vicarious liability,” and it helps injured victims obtain compensation. The employer might also have been negligent in how it trained its employees or performed background checks.
- The dump truck company. This might be different from the operator’s employer.
- A third-party mechanic. If shoddy repairs contributed to the accident, then the mechanic could be sued.
- The dump truck manufacturer. Defects in a truck can make it unreasonably dangerous to operate.
In some cases, we have sued multiple entities since they could have a shared fault. We will need to fully analyze how the accident happened before we can settle on the correct defendants.
What Kinds Of Injuries Do People Suffer?
Our clients typically suffer the kinds of traumatic injuries you would see in any collision with a large commercial vehicle. Our clients have been injured when colliding with dump trucks or when materials flying out of the box hit pedestrians and motorists.
You might suffer:
- Crush injuries
- Nerve damage
- Brain injury
- Spinal cord damage
Given their size, dump trucks can also cause deaths. If a loved one passed away following a dump truck accident, you might be entitled to bring a wrongful death lawsuit. Contact our firm as soon as possible to learn more.
How Can An Attorney Help?
A lawyer is a terrific asset when fighting for compensation. With our assistance, you can focus on getting well while we handle the legal issues. After accepting a case, we might interview witnesses, inspect your vehicle and the dump truck, and analyze your medical records.
Obtaining compensation is not easy. Companies usually have lawyers at their fingertips who aggressively fight to get cases dismissed, often on technicalities. By hiring the right firm, you can set yourself up well for a successful claim.
Call Our Atlanta Dump Truck Accident Lawyer For A Case Evaluation
At MG Law, we pride ourselves on providing the highest quality representation to our clients. If a dump truck accident has harmed you or a family member, contact us without delay. We can talk about your case in a free consultation and take the necessary steps to hold the proper defendants accountable.