What You Need to do After a Car Wreck
The first steps that anyone should take after being involved in a traffic collision generally all happen on the day of the crash. And, the first third of these steps outlined below are taken with the goal of safety and attending to injuries:.
- Attend to your and your other passengers’ injuries;
- Help any other parties that were involved;
- Call 911 if necessary or a non-emergency police number if the wreck was less severe; and
- Potentially move your vehicle out of traffic if safe and possible.
The second series of steps are orientated around preserving evidence of the crash;
- Next, you need to write down the other driver’s contact information, including license plate number and insurance;
- Take pictures of your car’s damage;
- Get the contact information of any witnesses to the crash; and
- Give your statement to the police.
The final third is to begin dealing with the legal and medical aspects of the crash.
- Refrain from arguing with the other party;
- Seek medical attention for the obvious reason that you need medical help, as well as acquiring medical proof that you were in fact seriously injured and that your injuries are not fabricated or exaggerated;
- Call your insurance company; and
- Reach out to an attorney.
Download Your FREE Guide Today
"Buying Car Insurance: A Guide"
Other Covington Practice Areas
Personal Injury | Auto Accidents | DUI Accidents | Premises Liability | Bicycle Accidents | Pedestrian Accidents | Wrongful Death | Motorcycle Accidents | Truck Accidents | Workplace Injuries | Mass Torts | Child Injuries | Nursing Home Neglect | Pharmaceutical Injury | Environmental Law & Toxic Torts | Crosswalk Accident | Slip & Fall Accident