Covington Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer
Call our drunk driving accident lawyers today.
Despite an extensive media campaign to raise awareness about drunk driving, impaired drivers continue to cause untold damage on Georgia’s roads. According to the Georgia Governor’s Office of Highway Safety, 368 people were killed in 2016 in drunk driving accidents, and about another 10,500 were injured. If you were struck by a drunk driver, you might be entitled to compensation. But you will need an experienced Covington drunk driving accident lawyer to help.
Compensation You Can Receive
In a car accident lawsuit, our clients have received money to help cover their losses, such as:
- Medical expenses, including surgery, overnights at the hospital, and doctor visits;
- Prescription drugs;
- Assistive devices, such as wheelchairs;
- Future medical care, if you will need continuing treatment or assistance in the future;
- Lost wages, if you can’t work while you recover;
- Lost future earnings, if your injuries are so serious that you cannot return to work;
- Damage to your vehicle; and
- Pain and suffering.
You might also qualify for punitive damages. These damages are meant to punish the defendant and deter other people from drinking and driving. Punitive damages are awarded when the defendant’s conduct is particularly bad or blameworthy, and drunk driving could certainly qualify.
What You Must Prove
Drunk driving is a crime, but in a personal injury lawsuit you need to identify a “tort,” which is a civil wrong. In the context of car accidents, you will probably sue under the theory of “negligence.” There are several elements you must prove:
- The person you sue (the defendant) owed you a duty of care. This should be easy, since motorists owe the other drivers around them a duty to be careful. They also owe their passengers a duty to operate the vehicle safely as well.
- The defendant’s conduct fell below this standard of care. Getting behind the wheel while intoxicated is a pretty clear violation of the duty to be careful.
- You suffered an injury recognized under the law. Any physical injury will qualify, such as broken bones, contusions, whiplash, and traumatic brain injuries.
- The defendant’s conduct caused your injuries.
In your civil case, you can present evidence that the defendant was intoxicated while driving, usually by relying on the same roadside tests that the state used. However, it is not the case that you automatically win a personal injury case simply because the defendant was prosecuted for DUI. Instead, you still need to present evidence of negligence.
Complications with Drunk Driving Accidents
A drunk driving accident is a little different than other car accidents. For example, if you willingly got into a car with an obviously drunk driver, then your case might be looked at differently. You still could have a valid legal claim, but you should talk about your case with an attorney.
You might also be able to hold other people responsible for the collision, such as anyone who willingly served alcohol to a person who was clearly inebriated.
Why You Need a Drunk Driving Accident Attorney
Many of our clients are in considerable pain after an accident. They are confused about what to do or even if they can hold the driver accountable for their injuries. Fortunately, help is only a phone call away.
At MG Law, we relieve the stress our clients are feeling by taking over their case and doing all the heavy lifting:
- We can find and interview witnesses to the crash to find out what they saw. We can also interview witnesses who saw the defendant drinking before the accident.
- We can request information from the police, such as the result of roadside tests.
- We can follow the criminal process to keep you updated about what defenses the defendant relies on, if any.
- We can act as the intermediary between you and any insurance adjuster, filling out paperwork and answering any of the adjuster’s questions.
Finally, we can negotiate with an insurance company to obtain fair compensation. It should come as no surprise that insurance companies are not eager to pay out a settlement after a Covington drunk driving accident. But we have the experience necessary to get you the compensation you deserve.
Our Drunk Driving Accident Attorneys are Standing By
The decisions you make in the aftermath of a collision will impact you for years to come. No decision is more critical than hiring the right attorney to represent you in a personal injury lawsuit.
By choosing MG Law, you are getting first-rate representation and a zealous advocate who knows how to present a claim in the correct way. To speak with one of our Covington drunk driving lawyers, please reach out today at 678-210-6690. We offer a free initial consultation.