Why Tractor Trailer Accidents Occur
In rare instances, the driver of a small vehicle might cut in front of the tractor-trailer and cause a crash. However, in many more cases, the truck driver is to blame for the accident because he was negligent or reckless in how he operated his rig.
At our firm, we have seen the following causes:
- Distracted driving. Truck drivers cannot use a hand-held cell phone while driving, but many do, nonetheless. Drivers can also become distracted by eating, talking to passengers, or simply spacing out.
- Driver fatigue. Long-haul drivers are on the road for a long period of time and can easily fall asleep behind the wheel. Rampant use of stimulants only masks the symptoms of fatigue, such as delayed reaction times and poor judgment. Although federal “hours of service” regulations limit the amount of time a trucker can drive, many truckers violate these rules.
- Drug or alcohol use. An impaired driver is at risk of falling asleep and making critical errors. Even over the counter or prescription drugs can impair a driver.
- Speeding or driving too fast for conditions. When a vehicle is going too fast, it takes longer to come to a stop. Many truckers rear-end smaller cars because they cannot stop in time.
- Improper loading of cargo. Unbalanced loads can make a tractor-trailer unstable, leading to rollovers.
- Operator error. Some truckers become confused about where to go, especially when driving in a city like Atlanta.
Regardless of how the accident unfolded, injured victims should quickly speak to an accident attorney in Atlanta. Our firm will swing into action to obtain the evidence necessary to press your claim for compensation.
Other Atlanta Practice Areas
Personal Injury | Auto Accidents | DUI Accidents | Premises Liability | Bicycle Accidents | Pedestrian Accidents | Wrongful Death | Motorcycle Accidents | Truck Accidents | Workplace Injuries | Mass Torts | Child Injuries | Nursing Home Neglect | Pharmaceutical Injury | Environmental Law & Toxic Torts | Crosswalk Accident | Slip & Fall Accident | Bus Accidents |